Sunday, October 28, 2012

Books

Growing up, I was very shy. One of my favorite escapes was through books.

In elementary school I was always reading. I would even get in trouble with my parents because I would have my nose in a book while I was crossing the street!

Currently I regret not being able to read what I like or as much as I want to. Reading would be much more convenient if I had a mobile reader such as a Kindle. 

Call me a sentimentalist, but even though an electronic reader would be more convenient, I do not like mobile readers.

Books are wonderful, awesome things. Awesome in the sense that they are awe inspiring, capable of reducing people to tears, sparking deep intellectual arguments, and calling attention to the injustices of our society. Books are incredible tools of knowledge and communication. This is why it is such a shame that book stores all over are closing.

Books can be therapeutic, and part of that is the comfort of curling up on a chair with an epic book and losing your problems in the story. Reading a book is more than just absorbing the information. Reading a book is physically calming and relaxing. 

As the world continues to expand technology, electronic readers worry me. I want books to thrive, but I am afraid this won't be possible. 

The decline in popularity of physical books might make these amazing treasure troves, even greater.





1 comment:

  1. I agree! You can read a real "epic book"... The Odyssey!!!

    ReplyDelete